Post-Judgement Modifications

Sometimes significant changes occur after a couple is legally divorced that make it necessary to change the court order. During these occasions, a legal modification may be appropriate, for example:

  • If you have lost your job
  • If you have suffered a disability or illness
  • If your ex-spouse has had a significant increase in financial status
  • If you have had a significant decrease in financial status

If this has happened to you, you need to apply for a modification. However, obtaining a modification can be difficult. You must prove to the court that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred that makes it impossible to comply with the current order.

Another type of post-judgment action is for enforcement. Enforcements are requested when one party does not comply with his or her responsibilities in the Judgment of Divorce.

An example is when one spouse is ordered to pay spousal support, but is delinquent in paying; the other spouse can seek enforcement from the court. The spouse seeking enforcement is asking the court to compel the other party to make good on his or her court-ordered obligations. If the party is determined to be non-compliant, the court can impose serious legal consequences.

Ideally, you would want to resolve these post-divorce issues amicably with your ex-spouse; however, if this is not possible, an experienced family law attorney can help you through the process.

Regardless of whether you are seeking enforcement or a modification, the Orange County family law offices of Amy M. Montes can help you achieve your objectives. When situations naturally arise after the final judgment and settlement agreements are finalized, you will need someone who can deal with these issues in a practical and efficient manner based upon your current circumstances.

The family law offices of Amy M. Montes can provide you with the personalized attention and dedicated representation you need while representing your rights and protecting your interests as well.