When are you in contempt of court?

The following are examples of contempt actions and their consequences:

·     A parent not paying child support – can be jailed until full payment is made

·     When one party does not turn over an asset subject to a settlement agreement – can be jailed

      until asset is relinquished

·     Refusing visitation to the non-custodial parent – can be used as possible grounds for a

     modification in child custody

·     When the non-custodial parent does not return the child to the custodial parent after a visit –

      can be found in contempt

·     One party refuses to pay temporary or permanent alimony – can be found in contempt

If you have been charged with contempt of a court order, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will guide you through the legal process of obtaining a child custody, visitation or support modification, while protecting yours and your child’s rights.