What is marriage by proxy?

Do you and your boyfriend want to get married but he’s in the Army and stationed overseas?

If this is your situation, California has marriage-by-proxy laws that allow a marriage to take place between a California resident and a member of the armed forces who is stationed far away.  The law allows your boyfriend to give his power of attorney to someone who can stand in for him during the ceremony.  The documents must be witnessed by at least two military officers or by a notary.

According to California Family Code Section 420, “No particular form for the ceremony of marriage is required for solemnization of the marriage, but the parties shall declare, in the presence of the person solemnizing the marriage and necessary witnesses, that they take each other as husband and wife.”

If you and your boyfriend want to be married and do not want to wait until he is back in California, contact an Orange County Family Lawyer who can explain the marriage-by-proxy option to you.