Interstate custody cases

It is common for parents to move from one state to another, but when there is a threat that your rights as a parent will change forever, it is natural to feel anxiety, fear and hurt.  Is your ex-spouse trying to deprive you of the right to be with your child?

When a custodial parent must move out of state because of his or her job, that is difficult enough, but when the custodial parent is moving to spite the other parent, that is unacceptable.

California has adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act which states that if a party has left California, a custody/visitation order can be registered – when the child has lived in California for at least six month.  You will be able to request a modification of the original order.

If your ex-spouse has moved out of California and you have questions regarding your rights in an interstate custody proceeding, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will protect your interests and the best interests of your child.