Child relocation

In California, final divorce judgments are never written in stone.  What happens when the custodial parent must move out of the original court jurisdiction because of a new job, taking the child with her or him?

If this is the case, California law requires the custodial parent to file a move-away petition with the court.  The court, in making its decision, takes into consideration the reason for the move, the child’s relationship with each parent, the age of the child, and how the move will affect the child.  The court takes into consideration the best interests of the child.

Parents who need to relocate may have a viable reason for doing so, but often face an uphill legal battle with the non-custodial parent.  If you are a non-custodial parent who wants to keep your child from relocating, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who deals with these matters daily, and may provide some solutions pertaining to your specific case.