A deadbeat parent

A deadbeat parent is a parent who continuously fails to pay court-ordered child support.  This has nothing to do with losing a job – they have the means to pay, they just do not.  In addition, a deadbeat parent is not always the father.

When a parent falls behind in child support payments, the state can garnish his or her wages, take what is owed from state of federal tax refunds, or enforce jail time.  Failing to pay child support should have nothing to do with visitation rights – the parent still has the right to visit with the child.

If you are owed child support payments, contact your local child support enforcement office or an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney for the help you need.   In your case, you might need the payments adjusted to reflect your most current earnings.