Your spouse and the divorce papers

When you want a divorce but your spouse does not, how do you get him or her to sign the divorce papers?  It usually is not easy.

It will not help your case if you are bitter and angry, maybe even nasty.  If you want your spouse to cooperate with you, be nice.  Be polite; you’ll get more that way than being confrontational.

Sit down with your spouse.  Discuss division of property and child custody plans.  Ask for his or her input – don’t dominate the conversation – let him or her talk also.  Never say no when your spouse is asking for a compromise.  Keep your emotions intact.

If you find you cannot arrive at an amicable agreement, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney.