A prenuptial agreement is between two people who are about to get married. It deals with the financial consequences if the marriage ends in divorce. Although divorce is the last thing on a happily engaged couple’s mind, keep in mind that California has a very high rate of divorce and it makes a lot of sense to get a customized prenup.
It is important to consider a prenup when:
· You have more money than your partner
· You earn more money than your partner
· You are remarrying and have a family and obligations from your first marriage
· You own your own business
· Your partner is in debt
· You want to make sure your spouse does not overturn your estate plan
By having a prenuptial agreement, it ensures that your partner is marrying you for who you are, and not for your money or what you own. If you are considering a prenuptial agreement and have questions, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will walk you through the process step by step.