What to do if served with divorce papers?

If you are served with divorce papers, you have 30 days to file a ‘response’ with the court.

The response is a document that tells the court you are interested in proceeding with the divorce, being notified of any court dates, and you will be participating in the divorce process – in the courtroom.

If you do not file a response, the court will decide the outcome of the case based upon only one side’s version of the facts.  It is important to file a response, especially when there are children and property involved.

If you have been served divorce papers and do not know what to do, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who can provide you the advice and assistance you will need during this difficult time.