What Rights Does the Non-Custodial Parent Have When Parenting?

non-custodial parentWhat rights does a non-custodial parent have? If you are the custodial parent of a child, you know that you have to make many important decisions for that child and care for them on a full-time schedule. You might wonder what role the other parent in your parenting relationship fulfills, and what it means for both of you.

Of course, there are different rights for parents who have joint custody than those who have no legal custody of a child. What’s the difference? First, you need to understand that there are two types of custody, physical custody and legal custody. Physical custody is where the child lives most of the time, and legal custody is the right to make decisions about a child’s upbringing. Today we want to take a closer look at these scenarios and where the non-custodial parent comes into play.

Rights of a Parent with Joint Legal Custody

What are the rights of the non-custodial parent when they have joint legal custody? A parent who shares joint custody with the custodial parent has the right to share in important decisions in the upbringing of the child. This means that they have a say in many important issues like education, religion, important medical decisions, and more. You will get the chance to partake in your child’s life just as the custodial parent does.

Rights of a Parent without Legal Custody

Now, if you do not share joint custody of the child, you might notice that there are less rights to making important decisions on behalf of your child. In most cases, if you have not been given joint legal custody, there might be a reason behind this such as abandonment in the past, drug use, or a variety of other reasons. You might still play some role in your child’s life, however, such as requesting information about your child’s school and medical information.

No matter what situation you find yourself in, it is important to remain active in your child’s life. We want to help you figure out what works for you in your case at the Montes Law Firm. Call us today for more information on how we can assist you.