Responding to divorce papers

In California either spouse can ask the court to end their marriage even if the other spouse does not agree to it.

If there are no complications, the marital status ends six months after the first papers are filed and served on the respondent.  When you are served with the papers or Petition, read it carefully.  It will state what your spouse is asking for, such as property division, support, etc.  The Summons explains your rights and the divorce process.

Once you are served, you can do nothing if you desire.  By doing nothing, your spouse will most probably be awarded whatever he or she is asking for.  Or, you can file a response with the court.  If you decide to file a response, you have 30 days from the date you were served to do so.

Unless you agree to this divorce and there is no property or children involved, I would suggest you contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will look after your best interests and help you get through the divorce process with as little stress as possible.