Responding to a divorce petition

Have you been served with a divorce petition?  If you have, you have 30 days to answer or file a response.  If you don’t respond, you may forfeit your rights to contest certain issues, such as child custody or property division.

When you respond, you are acknowledging receipt and able to respond to any allegations made by the petitioner.  You can either agree or object to the petitioner’s requests.  You can also agree with certain issues and disagree with others.  If you agree with all issues, you can go forward with an uncontested divorce.

When you answer the petition, you should provide clear and direct responses to each statement.  You are also allowed to make demands in your answer.

If you have been served with a divorce petition, contact an experienced Orange County Divorce attorney to protect your legal rights during the divorce process.