Proving paternity

When a married couple has a child together, the husband’s name is entered on the birth certificate as the father of the child.

However, when an unmarried couple has a child, the paternity of the child may be in question, especially when the mother is unsure who the biological father is.  Once a determination of paternity for a child out of wedlock is made through DNA tests, the court will order the father to pay child support and the father can pursue custody or visitation rights.

In other cases, an unmarried father can acknowledge paternity of the minor child by voluntarily signing a Declaration of Paternity.

When the identity of the child’s father is not known, legal action may be necessary to establish paternity and take responsibility for the child’s care.  Contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who has been successful in helping mothers trying to establish the identity of their child’s father.