Parental Relocation

No one knows what tomorrow will bring.  Life circumstances change all the time.  When this happens between a divorced couple with children, child custody agreements can also change.

If you are a custodial parent and are planning on relocating for your job or another significant reason, such as remarriage, you will need to seek a child custody modification.

You must petition the court for approval and work out a court-approved arrangement with the other parent.  If you do not obtain court approval, you could be held in contempt or charged with kidnapping.

There are many legal requirements that have to be met before the court will approve relocation, including whether it is in the best interests of the child.  After all, a child needs both parents in his or her life.

For more information about relocation, contact Amy M. Montes at the Montes Family Law Offices in Orange County.  I will help you seek a modification in your child custody agreement that is conducive to supporting a healthy relationship for your child and both parents.