How can I get a continuance?

Divorce proceedings don’t always go smoothly; in fact, few do, especially when child custody is concerned.  There may be circumstances that require a continuance of your scheduled hearing.

If this is the case, your attorney can ask the court to grant a new hearing date.  Several outcomes can occur, which include:

  • A new hearing is scheduled
  • Your request is denied and you must attend the scheduled hearing
  • Your ex-spouse may object

Most family courts are packed with divorce, child custody and/or child support issues and cannot change the docket by granting a continuance.  However, there are courts that are flexible and willing to make a change.

If you are going through a child custody proceeding and cannot attend the scheduled hearing because of specific circumstances, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will handle the filing of a continuance on your behalf.  Be prepared that you request may be denied and if this is the case, you will have to make adjustments to your schedule and attend the already scheduled hearing.