How can I change my name?

In California, if you want to change your name, you must file a Petition for a Change of Name and fill out the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name.

Once you file this petition, you will receive a court date on your Order to Show Cause between six and twelve weeks away.  If all your paperwork is filled out correctly, the court will give you a court order to change your name in a few days.

It is not always necessary to fill out paperwork to change your name.  If you want to change your name and are not sure what to do, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will take you through the appropriate steps.