Ex Isn’t Paying Alimony: What Steps Can You Take?

Imagine this: You have been told you will receive alimony as part of your divorce settlement. Now picture a few months passing by and not receiving the alimony that you were promised. When your former spouse refuses to pay alimony, your first thought might be to speak with your family law attorney about what can be done – and, in many cases, you will have to return to court to solve these issues. There are many ways that you may be able to request the alimony that you deserve when your spouse has stopped payments, and we can help.

Options for Receiving Alimony  

Unfortunately, many people involved in this situation will find themselves in family court repeatedly until everything is perfect. Here are several options that may help you get the results you deserve:

Contempt of Court: Speaking to a judge could have them issue the unpaid alimony to you as well as court costs for contempt of court. If they do not follow the order after this judgment, they could face fines and incarceration as a result. If they continue to disobey the order and ignore the alimony, further action can be taken. 

Lawsuit: A lawsuit could be brought against your spouse for debt collection through a lawsuit in small claims or higher court. If your defendant decides if they want trial to discuss the matter, they will have to present their evidence in front of a judge. However, you will only be able to bring a lawsuit if the amount owed to you is under a certain amount. You will have to appear in higher court if it is over that amount. 

Wage Garnishment: Wage garnishment is usually made through a civil action or brought in a lawsuit. It can be a tricky business because a certain amount of their paychecks are protected by federal law.

Other Means: You could also talk your alimony matters out in mediation, which happens when you sit down with a mediator to come to an agreement.

If you are owed alimony and are struggling to get by because your former spouse refuses to pay, there are some actions that you can take. Your first step is to speak to an experienced attorney about these matters as soon as possible. Call us today for more information.