Child support and emancipation

Even though you are ordered to make child support payments until your child reaches the age of 18 or 21, you ask if you have to continue making child support payments after your child is emancipated by a court order.

An emancipation order, once granted, is the equivalent of declaring your child an adult; you will no longer be responsible for paying support.

If you have questions regarding your child’s court-ordered emancipation and your child support payments, to prevent any legal problems, contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will discuss your legal options and determine your best course of action.