Are you charged with contempt of court?

When an individual is charged with contempt of court in Family court it is because he or she failed to obey an order issued by that court pertaining to child custody, child support or spousal support.

California Penal Code 166 refers to any behavior that is disrespectful to the court process.  Besides failing to obey a court-issued order, it includes:

  • Loud or belligerent behavior
  • Refusing to comply with the judge’s request

If you are cited for contempt of court, you could be facing heavy fines and sometimes a short jail stay.  If you are cited for contempt of court, it is important to contact an experienced Orange County Family Law attorney who will help you obtain a post-judgment modification if you can no longer make your support payments.