I Was Served Divorce Papers… Now What do I do?

If you have received divorce papers, you may not be thinking too clearly. You may be scared about the outcome of a divorce case and wonder how it will play out in terms of your assets, children, and other things that mean the most to you. Many people panic and think that they have to respond immediately, but this is not the case. We will help you understand what actions you can take and how we can help you.

Your Options When You Receive Papers 

There are usually a variety of ways that you can respond after you have received the initial divorce petition. In California, it helps to retain a divorce attorney before you make your decision. The most popular option is filing an answer, which allows you to respond to your spouse’s complaint to address every issue covered in the initial petition. Spouses can typically file a counterclaim to respond to certain allegations and make your own allegations.

What Are my Time Limits?

Usually, you have about 20 days to file a response with the court, but this could be shorter or longer depending on the state. In California, the courts give you 30 days to respond. When you file your answer within the deadline, you must serve your spouse with a copy. This gives notice to both your spouse and the court that you want to be involved in the case and it will keep you up to date with proceedings.

If you happen to miss the deadline, this is not the end of the line for you. You could call to find out if a hearing has been scheduled and to let the court know that you will be attending to give your response. However, you do not want to miss these deadlines, so enlist in the best help and speak to a family law attorney today. We are waiting to hear from you and can help you with your case from every aspect.