When One Parent Isn’t Abiding by the Order for Visitation Time

It’s everyone’s worst fear: They miss out on time with their child. Sometimes, depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be denied time with your child by the court itself, especially in places where abuse or abandonment have taken place. If the courts believe that you or another parent have acted unsafely and could be a risk to the child, you may be denied visitation until you can take regular parenting classes, anger management, and more. But what happens if your order states that you get regular parenting time, but the other parent does not abide by these rules?

Enforcing Visitation 

visitation timeWhen your ex-spouse is denying you time with your child even though the court order states otherwise, you may feel at a loss and very frustrated by these matters. It is difficult to maintain a strong relationship with your child when you are only permitted visitation, and your spouse may be making this even more difficult. However, there are some steps that you should take to get the most out of your case and get back in your children’s lives to the fullest extent.

Documenting Missed Time: If you have been denied time, you want to be able to show the courts how much time you have missed. This is why you should always document the times that you were denied visitation, no matter what reason. You should also try to keep conversations you have with your ex over email or text. This will help you build a case if you take your matters to court. 

Working Together: Sometimes these issues can be resolved when two parents sit down and talk to one another about the issues. You don’t want to have to worry about the time and expense that comes with court when they are matters you can solve on your own. Maybe the issue is as simple as conflicting schedules, which you can work out by setting up additional days to make up for lost time. 

Utilizing Courts: When it comes down to it and nothing else has worked, turn to the courts for help. If you file a Motion to Enforce, the court will intervene and require your ex to comply with the parameters of your order, as well as possibly have them make up time to you that was missed.

Are you somebody who has visitation time with your child but your ex is denying you time and you aren’t sure where to turn? We can help in your time of need. We know how important time with your child is to you and want to help you get the best, fairest results. Call us today for more information at 714-731-8600.